A whole-house remodel is underway at 9230 SE Washington Street. Fire damage to the property requires replacing the roof’s structure and a complete interior remodel.
Permit 20-176364 calls for a “new trussed roof to replace fire damaged roof. Complete interior remodel to include new bedroom and 1/2 bathroom. Remove patio cover at rear of structure.”
Work on the project is well underway, with the roof already replaced and new windows installed on the property’s front-facing walls. Updated siding and paint are expected, based on the exposed sheathing caused by exterior alterations. Despite being caused by a fire, this remodel is a positive upgrade for the 1949 home.
UPDATE – Excellent Cuisine is now open from 9:30 AM to 10:00 PM daily. A new website for the business offers images of the menu and testimonials. They can be contacted by phone at 503-946-8830 or you can order delivery from any of these three services: Postmates.com, Grubhub.com, and Seamless.com.
Update from November 14th , 2020.
UPDATE – Excellent Cuisine had a soft opening this week with one Yelp reviewer posting his first impressions. The restaurant also now has a DoorDash page available for placing home delivery orders.
The King Plaza building prominently displays a new Excellent Cuisine sign, replacing the Wong’s King Seafood sign. Not too much information is available regarding the new establishment. The liquor license application paperwork shows a checkbox for “Video Lottery Machines” on site. The application was filed by Y & W Trading LLC with owners Yu Xiong Zhang and Wan Fang Kuang. The owners’ names are listed on the application but crossed out and replaced with the LLC.
In the coming months, expect to see more information on the cuisine type and an opening date. Based on current indoor dining restrictions, it’s likely to be a while before they open. However, many are already excited to see this location filled with another restaurant.
Although the Stark Street location is their only store, it is the second Montavilla location for The Arc of Multnomah-Clackamas organization. For over ten years, they have operated a donation center on Halsey Street.
The Arc of Multnomah-Clackamas provides support services to people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Donation of items and shopping at the new thrift store support their advocacy work and the programs they offer. People are encouraged to follow the store’s Instagram account for updates and store photos.
Tigersden Vintage recently moved into the storefront at 7035 NE Glisan Street. The vintage store has over five years of experience selling online with Etsy, eBay, and now a Shopify store. This year they opened the Montavilla shop on Glisan and are currently displaying merchandise street-side.
Tigersden Vintage describes itself as a curated clothing and home goods resale shop. Opening any brick-and-mortar store during a pandemic is challenging. However, this business has established roots in online sales, positioning it better than other local stores expanding into website retail for the first time.
The building is the former home of the 12 X 12 Club, an establishment offering meeting space for 12-Step Recovery programs. Founded in 1990, the non-profit organization used this location to support people in recovery through a host of services. An established recovery community took root at this storefront, as did other businesses before it.
The building’s origin begins in 1917 at the hands of the first occupants. The Schultz brothers built this two-story building to house their plumbing business. Schultz Bros. Plumbing operated at this location from construction through the 1920s. The business owners potentially lived above the store during those years.
The property had an address of 1807 E Glisan Street before being renumbered in the 1930s. The Morning Oregonian on May 25th of 1916 recorded the original construction price for the building. “SCHULTZ BROS. – Erect two-story frame dwelling, 1807 East Glisan street, between East Seventieth and East Seventy-first streets: builder, same: $1800” By March 4th, 1917, the brothers posted their first advertisement for services in The Oregon daily journal. “SCHULTZ BROS., 1807 E. Glisan St. Tabor 1154. Also Supplies”
On October 20th of 1919, The Oregon daily journal listed $100 worth of repairs to the store. Although listed as a repair, that description also applied to other building upgrades. As with the building’s construction, the brothers list themselves as the contractors performing work. Early in the 1920s, the business became a member of the Portland Master Plumbers Association. The brothers’ affiliation is advertised in The Oregon daily journal of July 5th, 1922.
Also, in 1922, The Oregon daily journal from August 2nd has a posting offering a reward for a lost item. “Lost – Khaki-colored auto tent between Portland and Cascade Locks. Liberal reward. 1807 E. Glisan Phone Tabor 1154.” Auto Tents were an early version of camping trailers designed to fit inside or attache to cars. They offered roadside camping to car owners and could cost a considerable amount. This post hints at the brothers’ recreational activities and demonstrates a level of financial success.
Schultz Bros. Plumbing quietly disappeared from records after 1924 when W. J. Schultz sold his interest in the business to George F. Schultz. In 1964 new owners are listed on a plumbing permit for the building. The history of businesses at this address begins again with the 12 X 12 Club, and now Tigersden Vintage.
It seems fitting that a vintage shop would take residence in a centuries-old building. Beyond its appropriate placement, having an active storefront in that location helps Glisan grow as a shopping and dining destination. Visit Tigersden Vintage Tuesday through Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday between 11 AM to 7 PM. Or online at tigersdenvintage.com.
A new mural is coming to the corner of 82nd Ave and NE Glisan as part of the Jacksons’ gas station redevelopment. Hector H. Hernandez will create the public artwork in the ceramic-tile mosaic style. However, community participation in guiding the mural project is needed.
Montavilla Neighborhood Association (MNA) will host an online meeting to solicit public input regarding the art installation. The discussion is held via Zoom this Monday evening, November 30th, at 6:30 PM. Those unable to attend or who want to contribute in multiple ways can call 503-660-8659 or fill out an online form to provide written feedback. Callers leaving a voicemail should limit calls to 3 minutes.
Regardless of how community members choose to contribute to the project, MNA asks people first to visit the Land Use and Transportation page and read about the project and its chosen theme. As this project will be a visible marker of the neighborhood, it must reflect the diverse nature of Montavilla. Participation in this project will help all residents make a lasting mark on the local culture and its public perception.
Citrine Bloom recently relocated to 7114 NE Glisan Street in Montavilla. The plant store moved from its original location at 4136 SE 42nd Ave in August. Making plants affordable, accessible, and manageable for all people is a core goal for the shop’s owner.
Jessica Pierce created Citrine Bloom with the principle values of community support and the joy of plants. Plants had become too serious, according to Pierce. The store’s design is approachable by anyone trying to make their life better through added foliage. Additionally, the shop features products from a select group of vendors. All makers are female-identifying or people of color. Pierce wants to encourage these small business people and makers who need early support in their ventures.
Citrine Bloom moved to Montavilla to be closer to existing customers. Like many Portland businesses, the shop is closed to the public during the pandemic. However, they have an online store featuring many of their products. Pierce delivers those products, and moving to the building on Glisan Street cuts down those delivery times.
The building Citrine Bloom moved into is over 100-years-old. Most recently, the storefront was a hobby shop, but the building’s history started in 1914. Originally this building contained just two storefronts instead of the three that it has today. The addresses were 1828 and 1830 E Glisan Street before the Portland street renumbering in the 1930s. The half of the building now occupied by the plant store was a local creamery, according to the 1924 Sanborn map. Years later, the building expanded to fill in the alleyway between the structure and its westward neighbor, creating an additional shop.
Pierce hopes to open Citrine Bloom’s storefront for shoppers in December. However, that is dependent on how safe it will be to do so. Until then, the online shop is available for orders, and staff can assist by phone at 503-395-0032.
Since the early 1970s, Adolf’s Pattern Shop created products to support pattern makers and foundries from its building at 425 NE 80th Ave. The location closed in April of 2020 after owners Leonor and Adolf Volkmann sold to the Minnesota-based Midwest Pattern. The building is currently empty, with plans to sell or lease the property under consideration.
Adolf’s Pattern Shop quietly occupied the cinder block building with only a small sign indicating what company operated from this location. That sign is now gone, leaving an unpainted square to the left of the one front window. Despite the lack of street-side advertising, Adolf’s Pattern Shop became internationally known for supplying products for the pattern-making and metal-casting industry. The company remained family-owned for its entire time in Oregon.
The publication Modern Casting from July 9th reported on the business’s sale and provided more information on the acquisition of Adolf’s Pattern Shop. According to that article, Leonor and Adolf Volkmann began pursuing the business’s sale several years ago and came close to liquidation. Midwest Pattern was a long-time customer of the Portland company and felt it critical their products remain available to the industry. The new owners have great respect for the history that comes along with their purchase, keeping Volkmann’s career details accessible on the company website.
The building was not part of the business sale, and it remains the property of the Volkmanns. Leonor and Adolf Volkmann are the second owners of the property. They acquired it on August 23rd of 1974 from the building’s original owner Abe Ryerson. Ryerson started construction on the building in 1955.
Although Montavilla lost a manufacturing business in the neighborhood, it is likely a positive outcome for the Volkmann’s. With luck, a new business will move into that space and see the same decades-long success Adolf’s Pattern Shop had.
The garage located at 8115 SE Yamhill Street was demolished this week. A recent splitting of the lot into two parcels necessitated the removal of the structure. The garage straddled the new property-line, with the majority of the structure on the new property. A sale is pending on the now vacant lot to the west of the home.
Attached to the house by a breezeway, which was also removed, the garage was a substantial structure. However, demo permit 20-188105 noted that no plumbing fixtures were in the razed building. The house at this address has undergone renovations post its recent sale.
Glacier Properties bought the home in July of this year. Since that time, Crews have painted the building and removed an old oil tank. Other interior upgrades are suspected based on tradesperson vehicles seen onsite.
The home was built in 1917 and likely modified over the years. The recent updates to the home appear mostly cosmetic. This property will likely be listed for sale soon, with the development of the vacant lot next door starting in the coming months.
A parked Portland Police van showed commuters on SE Stark Street their vehicle’s speed. Parked in front of Mr. Plywood, the van is near the corner of 78th Ave. The police vehicle contains equipment to capture vehicle speed and display it on a reader-board cut into the driver side rear door.
Thursday morning, vehicles slowed as they noticed the police van and the reported speed of traffic. Stark and Washington street cut through the center of Montavilla town, and vehicle speed continues to be a hazard for people trying to cross those busy streets.
It is unknown if this police effort will have lasting effects on reducing speeders along this roadway. However, the police presence indicates that speeding is a concern in the area that Portland would like to address.
Upgrades are coming to a cellphone tower located on the main building’s rooftop at Portland Community College (PCC). Permit application 20-211707 describes the replacement of existing cellular communication equipment. This project is part of a batch of permits performing similar enhancements at other tower sites.
The permit seeks to remove eight antennas and replace them with six new antennas. Six new remote radio units are taking their place of three older units. Three new surge protectors take the place of older units. Twelve tower mounted amplifiers are coming off the building without replacement. A new fiber trunk data line is replacing older cabling. Three new DC trunks will replace six old ones.
This application proposes no increase in height, nor will residents see much change in tower appearance. This project is a standard equipment upgrade that will bring better service to cellphone users in the area.
Neighborhood news site focused on buildings and changing businesses