Tag: 7524 NE Everett

Montavilla History Questions Answered: Montavilla’s First Black Church

Q – What Was Montavilla’s First Black Church?

A – The Sunday edition of the May 7th, 1916, Oregonian, announced the formation of a Black church in Montavilla. By this time, the Black population of Montavilla had grown from only two in the 1900 U.S. Census to numbers large enough to warrant a mission church, that is, one by a larger religious organization. The Oregonian photograph shows a congregation of 40 men, women, and children. A few years later, Mission Church became Shiloh Baptist Church.

The 1916 Oregonian photo shows the Mission Church congregation standing in front of a brick wall. This is undoubtedly the east side of Scenic Theater, where services and Sunday school were held. The Scenic Theater — located at the northwest corner of Stark and 79th — was still an operating movie theater and also a meeting place for several Montavilla groups.

A historical group photo of residents from Montavilla, organized for a mission. The image features men, women, and children in formal and semi-formal attire, standing together in front of a brick building.
Photograph of the Montavilla Mission congregation Source: The Sunday Oregonian, May 7, 1916

The Oregonian credited George Gardner (1880-1937) and Ida Thompson (1872-1960) — misspelled “Thomas” — with founding the Mission Church for the sake of Montavilla children, who needed a local Sunday school. Mrs. Thompson already had experience operating a Sunday school. Before moving to Portland, she lived briefly in Denver, Colorado, and there supervised the Sunday school at Bethlehem Baptist Church. Once Shiloh Baptist church was established in a new location, she managed its kindergarten for many years and became known as the Mother of Shiloh.

In 1916, George Gardner was not yet a consecrated pastor. He was ordained in 1920 and served periodically as Shiloh Baptist’s pastor.

In 1916, the Montavilla Mission congregation hoped to build its own church. But by 1919, the congregation had dwindled to only nine. That’s when Mrs. Thompson and her friend, Mrs. Sarah James (1885-1953), sprang into action. Lacking funds for a new building, they purchased a house at the northwest corner of NE Everett and NE 76th, which they converted into Shiloh Baptist Church. (Coincidentally, this was just one block from today’s Highland Christian Center.)

Shiloh was and still is a popular name for Black Baptist churches throughout the U.S. This Hebrew name is associated with the New Testament Messiah. One famous example is the Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church in Selma, Alabama, which was a stop on the 1965 march from Selma to Montgomery.

Rev. Alexander E. Reynolds (1862-1923) was Montavilla’s Shiloh Baptist Church’s first minister. He was recruited from Bethlehem Baptist Church in Denver, where he had been pastor for 11 years. Perhaps he was recommended or recruited by Ida Thompson, his former parishioner and Sunday School supervisor. Perhaps Ida hoped Rev. Reynolds could perform the same miracles for the Montavilla church that he had done in Denver. In Denver, he had raised church membership from 12 to 125 and increased the church treasury from zero to an amount sufficient to buy two lots for a future church.

Unfortunately, the Montavilla congregation — despite repeated efforts — never had its own purpose-built church. The house on Everett remained its home until the 1950s. Despite the small space, the congregation grew. The Oregonian of July 19th, 1921, reported that the new church had “a large audience” of both Black and White churchgoers.

Rev. Reynolds left in 1921 to take a new position in Yakima. Later that year — the week of July 17th — Shiloh Baptist brought in an evangelist, Rev. Lowe of Cleveland, Ohio, to lead a revival. Did the Shiloh community need spiritual solace after learning of the recent horrible Tulsa massacre — one of the worst incidents of racial violence in U.S. history? Were they seeking to expand their congregation? Whatever the motivation, The Oregonian reported a large turnout of both Blacks and Whites.

In 1923, the church had a run of bad luck when the new pastor, Rev. Elijah Moseley, was arrested in a police moonshine raid. Rev. Moseley and two others were suspected of violating Oregon’s prohibition law. Rev. Moseley was accused of being disorderly and fined $10. The indiscretion was exposed in the October 11th and 13th editions of The Oregon Journal.

In 1924, Shiloh Baptist almost lost its property. But Rev. J. W. Anderson and Rev. W. D. Carter of the Northwest Coast Baptist Association came to its rescue. The Shiloh congregation publicly expressed its gratitude in The Advocate.

A vintage public notice from Shiloh Baptist Church expressing gratitude to Rev. J. W. Anderson and Rev. W. D. Carter for their assistance in saving the church property.
The Advocate, December 13, 1924

In 1926, George Gardner — now Reverend Gardner — returned to Montavilla Shiloh Baptist as an ordained minister. For the next couple of years, things seemed to go swimmingly for the church. It was enlivened by Christmas celebrations, guest speakers, plays, an athletic club, barbecues, street fairs, chitterling dinners, Halloween socials, a Freewill Workers’ club, and stirring sermons by Rev. Gardner. Sunday School attendance was also up, with regular attendance at 40.

A newspaper clipping from Shiloh Baptist Church highlighting a successful Chitterling supper and announcing an upcoming Hallowe'en social with contests for the best and worst dressed attendees.
The Advocate, October 15, 1927
Newspaper article snippet about Shiloh Church, mentioning a meeting of the Swift Foot Athletic Club and an upcoming barbecue and fair.
The Advocate, July 2, 1927

In November 1927, Rev. Gardner resigned, leaving a list of complaints published in the November 12th issue of The Advocate. He said he was not only the pastor. He was also the janitor, the woodchipper, the fire builder, the window washer, and the errand man. He regretted leaving the church without a pastor and a debt of $300, but he was tired of preaching mostly to his wife, since church members seemed to prefer going to movies or staying home. Still, he did not forget Shiloh Baptist. He returned to reminisce for the church’s 8th anniversary in February 1928.

A historical portrait of a man wearing a formal suit and white collar, with a serious expression.
Photo of Rev. Gardner. The Advocate, April 28, 1928

Despite repeated efforts to build its own church, the congregation continued to meet at the house on Everett until the 1950s. It was a convenient location for most of Montavilla’s Black residents who lived between Burnside and Glisan, from NE 74th to NE 79th.

More changes came quickly, starting in 1928. Ida Thompson gave up kindergarten supervising and moved to her six-acre chicken farm in Barton, Clackamas County. Yet she continued to play a pivotal role at Shiloh Baptist to its bitter end.

A succession of pastors came and went between 1928 and 1929. By 1929, the church was finally out of debt and once again dreaming of building a church. Rev. Gardner returned once again in 1931.

Greater stability came in 1933 with a new pastor, Rev. Robert E. Donaldson (1885-1966), who was fresh out of Chicago’s Moody Bible Institute. He would serve Shiloh Baptist for 14 years, the longest period of pastoral stability in the church’s history.

Rev. Donaldson initiated several benevolent and outreach initiatives. For example, in 1938, he founded a retirement home for Black clergymen — the first of its kind in the Northwest. It was located across the street from the Church, in the 1890 house at 7524 NE Everett, which still exists.

Front view of a modern two-story house featuring a balcony, surrounded by trees and utility lines.
7524 NE Everett formerly the Pacific Coast Aged Ministers and Missionary Home. Photo by Jacob Loeb

Shiloh Baptist carried on — although not without problems — until 1961, when the last known pastor, Rev. Robert H. Anderson (1890-1963) retired. Beginning in 1943, the church’s name changed several times: People’s Community Baptist Church, then Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church, then New Shiloh Baptist Church, and finally back to Shiloh Baptist Church.

These name changes occurred during a period of difficulties and discord, much of it stemming from the condition of the church facility. By the 1940s, it was in disrepair, and in 1948, the City of Portland condemned it. There were efforts to restore it or build a new church, which led to the congregation splitting into two factions: Ida Thompson, Sarah James, and Rev. Donaldson on one side, and congregants loyal to the current minister, Rev. Robert H. Anderson, on the other. The battle finally devolved into litigation.

Three of the main actors in the Church’s history died before the conflict could be resolved: Sarah James in 1953, Ida Thompson in 1960, and Reverend Anderson in 1963. The battle over how to sustain the church was over.

In 1965, the Crown Construction company tore down the house that had served the Shiloh Baptist congregation for over 40 years. It was replaced with a duplex that is still in use.

The story of Shiloh Baptist Church is remarkable, with many ups and downs, but it is also a story of persistence. The Church faltered at several points in its history, and yet it survived for over 40 years.

Someday, perhaps a plaque will mark the spot where Shiloh Baptist stood. For now, its memory is preserved in the National Register of Historic Places, as part of a multiple-property listing approved by the National Park Service in July, 2020.


This is part of Montavilla History Questions Answered, a series of history related articles. If you have questions about Montavilla’s past that you’d like answered, local historian Patricia Sanders will investigate your question. Please email your questions to history@montavilla.net and we may feature it alongside Patricia Sanders’ research in a future.

Refreshed 130 Year-Old Rental

The recently renovated 1890 era house on Everett Street is renting as a duplex. Bought in August of 2020, the property’s new owners transformed the house into an impressive multi-unit building. This latest iteration echoes the rental history for this property that began 100 years before.

Split into a ground-floor unit and a larger upper two-story residence, 7524 NE Everett Street cleverly hides its duplex nature. Both renters share the unfinished basement. Descriptions for Unit A and Unit B highlight the full remodel of the homes. They feature new plumbing and electrical with durable but attractive flooring. Kitchens feature a five-burner gas range, microhood, and dishwasher. Much of the overgrown landscaping is now removed, revealing the shape of this classic structure.

Initially addressed as 410 E Everett Street, the house predates Montavilla’s annexation into Portland. The house sat behind a storefront, positioned tightly at the back of the lot. By 1918 the house belonged to V. Cladek, a Montavilla resident and businessman. Cladek may have lived at this location. However, by 1920, he moved closer to the center of Montavilla town. A Capital Journal article from August 20th lists Cladek’s address as 53 East Seventy-ninth Street (now 317 SE 79th Ave).

410 E Everett Street, Sanborn Map 1909.

With Cladek living on 79th, his house on Everett became available for rent. Now being part of Portland, it changed to an address of 1910 E Everett Street. Newspaper ads in 1920 and later in 1922 list the home for rent. The Sanborn Map for 1924 illustrates Cladek’s expansion of the rental property beyond a single structure. A boarding house replaced the stores seen in the 1909 map. That two-story building still exists today as a fourplex located at 235 NE 76th Ave. The property also expanded to include other houses along 76th, likely all rental properties owned by Cladek.

1910 E Everett Street, Sanborn Map 1924

Beyond ownership of these buildings, V. Cladek participated in civic issues during the World War I years. Although likely the same person, a strong link between the public figure and property owner is missing. Cladek first engaged in public life with an unsuccessful run for Multnomah County Assessor in 1916. By early 1917 he was President of the Bohemian Association in Portland. Bohemian being used to denote the Czech people in the early 20th century. With the first world war raging, Cladek authored an article about Bohemia’s Suffering during the Great War.

Beyond written support of the war, Cladek and the Bohemian Association contributed to a Red Cross fundraiser in 1917. Proceeds from that event provided relief for those suffering in the Great War. Cladek further expressed his opinions regarding the war, declaring in the Morning Oregonian of December 3rd, “We hate the Kaiser and all his ways.”

In 1918, at the age of 64, V. Cladek further inserted himself into the war efforts. In the Morning Oregonian of May 23rd, he is one of many citizens willing to go to war regardless of age. Once again, he appealed to Bohemians and cultural pride in the war effort. He most likely did not travel overseas.

V. Cladek remained the property owner into the 1920s. With the war over, his participation in public events diminished, and it appears he mainly focused on his business efforts. This modern transformation of the Cladek building did an admirable job maintaining its original form. The changes to the structure enhanced its classic stylings while making it a modern living space. Future renters should enjoy the updated amenities along with the rich history of the building.

Image by Weston Ruter