A handwritten sign in the window of 6900 NE Glisan Street advertises that the storefront is for lease. This corner building is looking for its next business to house, just as it has for over 100 years. First built in 1911 for W. Heinen, the structure’s design created a store on the first floor and a dwelling above.
Originally built with an address of 1780 E Glisan Street, it most commonly was addressed as 1772 E Glisan Street. The address 1776 E Glisan also was associated with this location before it finally moving to the new address system used today.
Many groceries have occupied this location in its first fifty years, although most names are no longer know. Newspaper advertisements and articles have preserved some of that history, as well as plumbing records.
1922 – Charles Ingram of White Front grocery reported taking a counterfeit $20 bill from a woman trying to use it for 30-cents of groceries. Morning Oregonian, April 05, 1922.
1958 – Historic Plumbing Permit lists the business name as Hill Crest Grocery.
As a central business in the community, it served as an election polling location for many elections.
1914 – Listed it as an Election Polling Place The Oregon daily journal, May 14, 1914.
1919 – Listed it as an Election Polling Place The Oregon daily journal, November 11, 1919.
1920 – Listed it as an Election Polling Place. The Sunday Oregonian, October 31, 1920.
The century of service has been tough on this building, and it could use some updates. However, it has stood many tests of time and is ready for the next great business to open its doors at this location. People interested in continuing the long tradition of community retail at this address should email 6900NEglisan@gmail.com.
UPDATED – Added photos from Kevin Dorney’s collection showing Kaia and Inga Casperson at their confectionery. Pictures are undated.